February 20, 2017 03:41AM

Author Topic: Generators  (Read 876 times)

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
  • I'm sure there is a hax for that...
  • Awards I survived the Sleestack migration of 2013 Is an active member of the LG Minecraft server Uses our ventrilo voice chat to keep up with the community and talk with fellow Joined the site the first month Helped with CoS Beta Testing Tekkit Player
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
Generators
« on: May 25, 2016 04:25PM »
Generators:

This seems to be a topic of some major concern to the player base at GenXnova., and to be honest it is a topic of huge biblical proportion to the server administration too.

All generators cause problems to the whole server. Any Generator docked to any ship on the server is a source of lag on the server for everyone on the server. The fact that we do allow these major source of lag on our server is a point of some contest in the first place and players should keep in mind we donít have to allow them on the server in any way. We agree to have them for those that do their best to do right by us in return.

So what we have done is taken the time to notice this and limit the use of them to more advanced ships on the server only. This limitís the amount of lag caused by generators overall on the server, and limits who will be using them to players who have stayed long enough to be advanced players / builders needing more advanced designed to use on their ships.

We only keep about 1/3 of the players to come to our server and we do not see a reason to give the other 2/3 of the players who are not going to stay with star made or our server more ways to lag our server while they are here. We firmly believe that those advantages should be limited to those who stick with the game and stick with our server.

So because we are honestly going to do everything we can to have the best game play we can for those who are legitimately going to game in our community and stick with our server, this is why we are limiting smaller ships to not use a source of lag to improve on what they feel is their right to play the game the way they want.

None of this is to say that noobs who join us first day canít just bring in a 500k block ship or higher and follow the rules directly on their own. It just is a good barrier between community and those who will not even take the time to be an active player on the server. If a player is only on server do what ever they want there are many very laggy servers out there willing to let them be thoughtless players, and those are the servers they should go to. GenXnova and LazyGamerz.org is not the place for what ever you want to do.

Anyone found to be breaking the server rules on generators will be asked to remove the offending parts and have the construction of their ship to fit the server rules. If that request is not met within 3 days of the request then the administration has every right to delete the ship and blueprints related from the server to insure the continuity and stability of the server and community.

Any generator docked to a ship should first be docked to the mother ship using only proper docking methods and intended docking blocks meant for such entities, and have 1 block space between the generator and the mother ship in all directions to prevent the generator from spazing out in ship load when the player loads it in the first time in log in. Yes if you do not have a single block in all directions there is a chance that your generator will drift into and collide with the mother ship in loading in. So keep one space in there for safety.

Here is the limits in a nutshell

Power Generators

Limited to ships 500,000 blocks or more

The max limit constructed as a generator to any mother ship is 250,000 (that's all generators combined not a singe generator)
The max amount of power generators that can be docked to a mother ship is 20

Shield Generators

The max limit constructed as a generator to any mother ship is 300,000 (that is all generators combined not a single generator)
The max amount of shield generators that can be docked to a mother ship is 20

Thruster Generators (engines)

The max limit constructed as a generator to any mother ship is 300,000 (That's all generators combined not a single generator)
The max amount of thruster generators that can be docked to a mother ship is 20

Stations do not have the same build size limit as ships do. As stations do not move they do not cause the same server lag but we do keep with the same block count limits for station as far as generators that can be docked.

So follow these simple rules and we in the community will have no problems with what you are doing
and thank you to all who follow the rules that we have needed to put in place.

Bobbybighoof, community main leader
lazygamerz.org
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016 02:51PM by Bobbybighoof »

Offline Starboy

• 5 posts
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Generators
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016 09:59PM »
Since the only reason people use generators at all on larger ships is because 2 million e/s is not nearly enough, and getting more is really inefficient without generators, why not raise the soft power cap for the server to 10 million or so?  This way most ships wouldn't need generators at all and the very biggest ships would only need one or two big generators instead of 10-20 smaller ones.  I don't think this change would have any negative impact and we could cut the number of generators by 90%.

Offline timeh

• 5 posts
  • hello
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016 12:11AM »

@Starboy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016 01:58AM by timeh »

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
  • Awards I survived the Sleestack migration of 2013 Is an active member of the LG Minecraft server Uses our ventrilo voice chat to keep up with the community and talk with fellow Joined the site the first month Helped with CoS Beta Testing Tekkit Player
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016 02:35AM »
Since the only reason people use generators at all on larger ships is because 2 million e/s is not nearly enough, and getting more is really inefficient without generators, why not raise the soft power cap for the server to 10 million or so?  This way most ships wouldn't need generators at all and the very biggest ships would only need one or two big generators instead of 10-20 smaller ones.  I don't think this change would have any negative impact and we could cut the number of generators by 90%.

because we do not modify the configs beyond jump distance and gate distance that wont effect a ships actual build. No one wants a ship that can't be used on any other server or able to be default shared on the dock community content.

Offline Maxajax

• 45 Posts
  • Your friendly Neighbourhood Magos
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016 06:52AM »
because we do not modify the configs beyond jump distance and gate distance that wont effect a ships actual build. No one wants a ship that can't be used on any other server or able to be default shared on the dock community content.
Agreed. Everything in Starmade is subject to change, but we get enough change from Schine already. From the default settings, never waver. Things like AI accuracy, Jump Distance, gate distance and sector size are variable qualities that do not affect blocks. Those can be played with.
My philosophy on power regen:
http://imgur.com/ZWK3AUn

The 1990-1995 Star Wars: X-Wing Series, a part of my childhood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN_CP4SuoTU

The 1999 boardgame Warhammer 40K: Battlefleet Gothic, on which my ships are based:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3w3XeHpsis

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016 02:53PM »
image example added

Offline Tamren Shade

• Hi Im new not a leecher
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016 03:11PM »
For clarification purposes, is the 500K block count taken for the ship alone or the ship with docked entities? I have a WIP light cruiser that frankly needs a pair of docked reactors, and as it's currently designed I'm not sure I'm going to break the 500K count without counting the 50K blocks I have in the turrets.

Also, as the ship is a WIP and below the threshold, but I'm at the point I need to figure out how to fit and design the reactor, is it permissible to upload the BP and finish it in the server if I fit and design the reactors, but leave them off, and then undock them until I get the ship past 500K blocks?

Or would it be best to fit the reactors in oh-so-lonely single player and then just add them in once I get the ship finished on the server?

Thanks, I'm very proud of that ship and I would love to show it off, but I don't want to cause any issues for the server or admins. :)

Online Zackey_TNT

• 55 Posts
  • The one.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016 09:10PM »
For clarification purposes, is the 500K block count taken for the ship alone or the ship with docked entities? I have a WIP light cruiser that frankly needs a pair of docked reactors, and as it's currently designed I'm not sure I'm going to break the 500K count without counting the 50K blocks I have in the turrets.

Also, as the ship is a WIP and below the threshold, but I'm at the point I need to figure out how to fit and design the reactor, is it permissible to upload the BP and finish it in the server if I fit and design the reactors, but leave them off, and then undock them until I get the ship past 500K blocks?

Or would it be best to fit the reactors in oh-so-lonely single player and then just add them in once I get the ship finished on the server?

Thanks, I'm very proud of that ship and I would love to show it off, but I don't want to cause any issues for the server or admins. :)

1: Its counted from the main ship's block count.
2: If you intend to have a finished ship with reactors on it that is over 500K blocks, you may use the server as a build server. I would recommend fitting the reactors after you get to 500K, as this would prevent confusion. The PSU Mk17 R1 in the public catalog is my standard generator design, and you can use this if you are in need of a design.

Do not use this ship in combat unless it is over 500K blocks, but again, this would be on a case by case basis and would depend on the admin reviewing the ship.

"The wise benefit from a second opinion."

Online Hardliner419

• 5 posts
  • Hearts and minds can win a war. ONE BULLET EACH
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016 10:11AM »
     Well now that we have the new power auxiliary blocks will we be visiting this whole topic again?

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016 07:56PM »
     Well now that we have the new power auxiliary blocks will we be visiting this whole topic again?

In the coming weeks the whole topic of ships, and block sizes will be re addressed.