August 18, 2018 12:11AM

Author Topic: SMEdit Help - Large File  (Read 880 times)

Offline major_payne

• Hi Im new not a leecher
    • View Profile
    • Awards
SMEdit Help - Large File
« on: April 13, 2016 05:33PM »
Hey @Bobbybighoof,

I'm trying to convert a very large .obj file for Starmade.  I've run it through binvox and created a .binvox file.  It's ~170MB, and the dimensions of the voxel grid is 2750x2750x2750 .  I used ./binvox -pb -e -d 2750 -t binvox ship.obj on my Mac to create the file.  When I open SMEdit, I use java -d64 -Xmx16g -jar SMEdit.jar so SMEdit has 16GB of ram.  My system has 32GB and I've installed 64-bit java.  I go to import the .binvox file and SMEdit acts like it's processing the file but stays at 0% and memory never starts to increase.  When I've lowered the binvox size to under 1024 it appears to work.  So is there a magic way to construction something larger than 1024 cube size?

Thanks

Offline Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
  • I'm sure there is a hax for that...
  • Awards I survived the Sleestack migration of 2013 Is an active member of the LG Minecraft server Uses our ventrilo voice chat to keep up with the community and talk with fellow Joined the site the first month Helped with CoS Beta Testing Tekkit Player
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
Re: SMEdit Help - Large File
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016 04:52PM »
hey sorry for the late reply seem to have over looked this help request some how.

First let me say that using a .bat or other command prompt to run the smedit.jar file will do nothing to the main application as far as memory settings. you HAVE to set the memory settings in the options menu when it shows up for the main app to take any memory settings. so make sure once started that the memory bar shows that you have 16 gigs allocated before trying to do your action.

Second I have converted .obj files that once rendered the entity was 15 million blocks but that did take 32 gigs of ram to pull off. So I don't know why your doing binvox conversions of anything unless you like the look and feel of the object better converted that way.

I don't use binvox conversions so I don't know what to tell you about how to better use them I do all my conversions directly and mostly with .obj. So I don't know how to help you better understand what it is that your doing.

I just know that the current version of smedit is what I myself use and I don't seem to have those problems.