June 24, 2017 08:20AM

Author Topic: SMEdit and 2016 the epic continues  (Read 1203 times)

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
  • I'm sure there is a hax for that...
  • Awards I survived the Sleestack migration of 2013 Is an active member of the LG Minecraft server Uses our ventrilo voice chat to keep up with the community and talk with fellow Joined the site the first month Helped with CoS Beta Testing Tekkit Player
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
SMEdit and 2016 the epic continues
« on: February 23, 2016 02:04PM »
Many have been asking about the continued support of the SMEdit application for StarMade. I am here today to confirm that SMEdit is still being developed, and to do a bit of outlining of the development plan for 2016.

I apologize in advance before we get into plans for what seemed to be a laps if not abandonment of our beloved SMEdit. The fact is I am only one person and my support for StarMade is huge. My project list is seemly endless and almost over whelming. Some days I am so swamped with needs, maintenance, and requirements that I barely make it past the Q and A of being the main community admin of the number one ranked StarMade server on starmade-servers.com

Over the past year I have gathered quite a bit about what we might need our StarMade editing tool to do and what all needs to be added and or fixed in way of existing features. Yes our ability to edit new blueprints is top priority, and yes we will be doing that on this new build, but to be honest it is the very smallest part of what we need to do with the application.

3D imports improved

Yes up until now the .obj import ability has been simple or at the very least simplified and we now need a more full ability to render .obj files to StarMade blueprints. It is the first of a long line of improvments we need for 3D imports and we will get into that as we get closer to how we want the 3D import ability to be handled and laid out for us to use.

Existing features need expanded on.

Many things that SMEdit does was never brought to light and no one seems clear on how these things work. Many features will be expanded on as well as web based PDF files will be added to tiny clickable links for users to click on and bring up the PDF explaining that feature.

We will be expanding on features to include many things into the main application construction, but I will get more into that in a min. As we expand on these features we will be able to add, correct and modify what many things do. Lets face it how many users know or even have ever used the shape library feature? We need this expanded to be easy to see and easy to use making the ability to copy and paste loading pre set objects/ entities on the fly.

We will be moving the plug-ins to a pre set defined window showing all the plug-ins and giving more usable options in each plug-in. This again is part of changing the main application construction. So lets talk about that.

Changing the look and the feel, and I donít just mean the eye candy.

It is high time we made the full build of the application usable not just well laid out. Yes the main blueprint window is nice and the cute window with blocks to paint with is cute too, and we have all that nicely constructed but lets be honest donít you want much more in your face to work with? I know I do. There are many things in the application that need their own ďcontent paneĒ done up and able to be focused on moved around and used for the features they inhabit.

Now if you donít know what that means let me explain. That is where we take say the ability to paint with a hull color and expand on it to include all blocks in the block list not just advanced armor. Lets paint with everything, and lets make it so the window that shows us the blocks to paint with moves around on the screen so we can see more blocks more easily instead of being limited to a scroll bar lets make it so that if we move the window around the layout interacts moving and conforming to our needs. At the bottom of the window will be the paint options based on the block in the list you have chosen.

I want to take it one step farther but will save that SMEdit ability added to that feature as I knock up some code for it.

Now if we have that on the left hand side of the screen and the edit window in the center lets put something interesting and usable on the right hand side lets put more windows over there where you can have your full list of blueprints in your blueprints folder and a load button along with them and when you click on one to load it we make a whole new tab window in the center with that ship in it. So the center windows will be able to be closed on command and saves made if needed.

Lets go a bit more. Lets add also to the right side of the screen a shape library window showing a list of all your shapes in your library and giving you the option to paste them into the entry tab you have upfront focused on, and lets load that with a set 5 or 10 that we send along with the application so people start to see what those are. That window will also include any shapes the user has saved to their own library, and any thing they have gotten from others on the web.

There are a few more windows and features as well as new edit abilities I want to focus on in this rebuild. I am hard at work on a lot of it now, and will try to crank out some sort of sample app so that people can get more of a clue what Iím talking about as well as offer up suggestions.

I want to thank everyone who both have expressed their support for SMEdit and those that also quietly enjoyed what they had to use. I promise to make it so our attention to SMEdit reflects the games main develop for the game itself and make sure everyone knows that support continues even if reports donít happen as often as everyone would like.

I am always available on voice chat at ts3.lazygamerz .org
If anyone is interested in being a part of the testing team you should join me on voice chat and I will explain how to take part in the team there.
So be on the look out for a few new things happening with and for support of SMEdit this year.
Again thank you for your support

Bobbybighoof, project leader
SMEdit

Offline Zackey_TNT

• 55 Posts
  • The one.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: SMEdit and 2016 the epic continues
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016 04:51PM »
So dank, very cool, much wow.
"The wise benefit from a second opinion."

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
  • Awards I survived the Sleestack migration of 2013 Is an active member of the LG Minecraft server Uses our ventrilo voice chat to keep up with the community and talk with fellow Joined the site the first month Helped with CoS Beta Testing Tekkit Player
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016 08:50PM »
So dank, very cool, much wow.

Offline thatothermitch

• Hi Im new not a leecher
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016 11:30PM »
This is great news! Would you be willing to put up the code on github or similar? Even if it's not complete or fully working, having access to the source might allow others to try and pitch in.

Online Bobbybighoof

• Site Admin
  • 3500 Posts
    • View Profile
    • lazygamerz.org
    • Youtube's channel
    • Buy me a drink
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016 02:13PM »
This is great news! Would you be willing to put up the code on github or similar? Even if it's not complete or fully working, having access to the source might allow others to try and pitch in.

I will see what I can do.